After you have enabled ACL in the configfile you need to decide how you like to store user data. Dokuwiki supports various methods and creating a new one is pretty easy.
DokuWiki uses so called authentication backends that provide a certain methods to store user data and passwords. The user won't even see this backend but you as administrator have to set up your desired authentication backend and configure it properly.
- plain – the default mechanisms which uses plain text files
- mysql – access any MySQL database to authenticate users
- pgsql – access any Postgres database to authenticate users
- ldap – authenticate users against a LDAP directory
- punbb – authenticate Users against the PunBB forum (uses PunBB's cookies and database)
How to implement a new auth backend is described in the 認証方法の記述法.
An example of how to create an auth backend that identifies users that have already logged in using a Basic HTTP Authorization through .htaccess can be found in htaccessauth.